There´s just something about summer that makes you want to up the stakes each year. To make this year better than the last; do something worth remembering. Then to repeat this process every year. And why not, summer does come only once a year after all. So make the most of it! The destination I fell for this year is our very own New York City.
From beautiful beaches to the best bars and concerts. Live music, fashion, drama, to tastetastic culinary explosions. New York City has it all! What better way to spend summer, than to check out a few of the top notch local scenes this year. If you´re in NYC this year, I suggest you go full throttle and experience the fun a truly American summer can dish out!
- For the slower starters in the day, go to see Shakespeare in the Park. As an NYC tradition, this event takes place each summer. The city even has their own theatre troupe! This year includes ´The Tempest´ and the ´Cymbeline´.
Delacorte Theatre, Central Park; may 27th – Aug 23rd, free entry.
- Love the pearls and the glory of the Gatsby era? Look no further! Bask in the Grand Affair, as you are cast away with an event full of DJs, Charleston contests, to delectable cocktails and music from Michael Aranella and his Dreamland orchestra. Find yourself swept away with the glorious waves only Jazz can provide!
Governers Island; Aug 15-16th
- If musical elements is what you´re after, New York has a wide array of selections in store. Visit the Afrofunk festival. A popular event held in Brooklyn. This festival boasts open-minded black music and is perfect for those looking for a change from the norm. This event will leave you in anticipation for the next!
Commodore Berny Park, Brooklyn; Aug 22-23
- Head out to Celebrate Brooklyn, where you will find outdoor concerts of all kinds. The scenic atmosphere leaves you craving for more. With a diversity of music from indie, funk, to jazz and soul.
Prospect Park, Brooklyn; June 3-Aug 12
- The Central Park Summerstage however, is the most iconic music event this summer. It is NYCs biggest concert and ranges from styles of music. Here you will find Jazz, pop, indie, metal, from African music to Jewish cantorial and child-friendly showtunes. There is something readily available for everyone! To mark this event even more popular, this year will be the 30th anniversary. There´s no doubt New York will go all out for this amazing concert. Gigs will take place throughout the parks.
Central Park, Rumsey Playfield and various parks; 100% free
- If the heatwave is causing you irritation, don´t worry! NYC even has a solution for this! Take part in the annual Waterfight NYC this year. You will find thousands of individuals ready to go with waterguns, water balloons, down to tanks full of water and soaking wet sponges. If there´s a way to drench your opponent, crafty minds at this event will find a way! Become a local for the day and hide a few tricks up your sleeve to make the most out of this day.
Central Park, Great Lawn; no dates releases yet.
- Looking for an alternative way to spend your summer days? Head over to the French national Pride for Bastille Day. This event will take place on 3 blocks, to fulfill the magic for thousands of enthusiasts that arrive. Starting on 60th street, Bastille Day will find you up to your ears in décor. From pearls, to face paints, glitter and fancy dress! You´ll find enough crepes, an assortment of cheeses, macaroons and baked goods crafted by a patisserie to make your mouth water. Accordion players, musicians, cultural dancers such as the cancan will all be exposed as part of the local decorum. Be sure to arrive by 12pm if you want to kick start like the locals! This is definitely an experience to boast.
- NYC even offers some of its best rooftops to locals. How would you feel about taking a yoga class in the open air, with views of the Hudson River? Find classes with Alvin Ailey´s Power Ashtanga Yoga, for a scenic view to your daily workout sesh.